Thread Links Date Links

Re: [802SEC] November 802 LMSC Workshop Update

Not wanting to throw anyone under the bus, but Jason Potterf can provide some great insight here. He took on the task of figuring out the minimum hardware requirements to streamline the 802.3 hybrid experience. He did some exhaustive research into options ranging from Rasp PI systems, to tablets, NUKs, and laptops. 802.3 settled on laptops for various reasons and Jason can give all that info to George – but we are still in a learning phase. We shipped our gear to Hamburg for our recently concluded interim and the equipment was stuck in customs, and it looked like we couldn’t get it until Tuesday at best. We were VERY lucky that the AV company had audio interfaces and laptops that we could use, and that the AV contract was negotiated as a flat rate per attendee cost, so we got HW there for no extra out of pocket expense. I’d say no cost, but it did require me to spend a good portion of Sunday getting the systems set up, getting the laptops language set to English (with varying success), getting the Zoom and WebEx clients installed (and again, making sure they showed in English), and running test meetings in both clients to make sure the systems were ready to roll for Monday 8AM.

I plan to stay for the Saturday sessions and I’m happy to participate in this conversation to give our experience to this point. I assume Jason would be attending Saturday also, but I could cover for him if not.

As an aside, the small conference room had this really cool Sennheiser audio system, TeamConnect Wireless was the name if I recall (typing this on the plane and will send when I connect to wifi after landing in Chicago.) It could be an option for the smaller rooms that eliminates the need for microphones, mixing boards, and power speakers. The people that used it gave me very positive feedback.

Regards,

Chad Jones

Principal Engineer, Cisco Systems

Executive Secretary, IEEE 802.3 Working Group

Chair, IEEE P802.3da Task Force

Principal, NFPA 70 CMP3